TagAppStore

How I “killed” a Bug on my published App without touching the code! ;-)

Hi!

This post consists on just a little curiosity which I decided to share with you but, hopping that it will maybe make you think a little different, the next time you find a bug on your App…

There has been almost 3 months since we launched South Africa 2010 Soccer Scores.

Today I was reviewing its code and doing some changes because our next planned app will be based on that. Then I was completely surprised when I discovered a little bug that nobody had reported neither we had never noticed!

The little bug is that on the “About” tab of our App:

SA2010SS-About(marked)

SA2010SS - About screen tab

the link that I marked with yellow on the above screen-shot is WRONG!

Why is it wrong? Because it should link to: “http://xphone.me/sa2010ss” instead of “http://xphone.me/wcs2010“.

That happened for a reason that I’ll also share with you…

The wrong link was because our original submitted App name was “World Cup Scores 2010” but due to the possibility of some FIFA legal copyright/trademarks infringement with the expression “World Cup”, we had to change it at the last hour, to the final name “South Africa 2010 Soccer Scores”.

In order to maintain the coherence we had also changed our original web page about that App, from the “http://xphone.me/wcs2010” URL to the new one “http://xphone.me/sa2010ss“.

Well it seems we updated all the image assets but we forgot that little link on the “About” tab!

Today when I discovered it, the first thought on my head was to correct the code and update the App on the App Store. That would be simple but why should I do that if probably almost nobody will update this App since the World Cup had already finished quite a long time. Simple conclusion: it is not worth the effort!

But because I don’t like to known that there are some living bugs on my code and I would like that if someone click on that link he/she can reach our web page and not a blank error page, I thought a little more on this issue and then I realized, the solution was even simpler… I had just created a simple “index.html” page on “http://xphone.me/wcs2010” that redirects the users the right page! And now the insect is killed! 🙂

Disclaimer: I have nothing against real bugs! 😉

Well, this post doesn’t teach you anything special but I think it can give you an useful message:

  • the obvious solution is not always the best choice!


By the way, if you want to know a little more about SA2010SS, read my old post: “My first iPhone App on the App Store! 🙂“.

My first iPhone App on the App Store! :-)

I haven’t had time to write here, but soon I’ll try to start writing a lot of stuff I had learned with this little project.

By now, I only wan’t to let you know what was the project I had wrote a little about in my second post.

The final App name is South Africa 2010 Soccer Scores and you can find it on the App Store:

You can also see some info and screen-shots on our App @ http://xphone.me/sa2010ss/.

South Africa 2010 Soccer Scores - App Logo

South Africa 2010 Soccer Scores - App Logo

Unfortunately, I had this idea only some days before the World Cup started!

Nonetheless you developed it then we submitted it to the App Store. After 8 days we were notified of a possible copyright issue with a part of the original name of our App!

In less than a day we changed its name, the splash and title images, etc… and submitted it again…after one week it was approved and published on the App Store.

Unfortunately, that day was July 9th, less than 3 days to the end of the 2010 World Cup! :-/

Well, but in the last 3 days we had more downloads than we imagined from a lot of different countries!! That’s a little good return because it boosts our motivation to the next projects, especially an evolution of that App! 😉

And the work was worth it!! We got some experience and we learned a lot!!

Now we know what is to transform an Idea into a real App in the Apple App Store!

…and that is real a really nice feeling!! =:-)

Maybe on of this days I write a little post-morten about this App development.

I’d like to finish this post with kudos to André, he had done some really good logos/images for our App. And we had done a great team on this project. I’d also to thank to Eugen from Icon Drawer for letting us freely use his cute country flags

See you soon…

Ricardo

PS: If you try our App, please send us your comments & suggestions to “xphone.me@gmail.com“.

© 2020 myDevNotes

Theme by Anders NorénUp ↑